Thursday, August 10, 2006

The first concert I ever attended - 29 Oct 1991

I stepped into the Singapore Indoor Stadium to attend my first ever concert. It was by Hall & Oates. Boy, was it memorable.

At the end of the 2-hour odd concert, Daryl Hall yelled and exulted,"Acoustic Power"! It was an unplugged concert. This proclamation may seemed rehearsed. But, good music is great music by this Yankee duo.

I remembered.... instead of the usual arsenal of sequencers, synthesisers and sonic drums, this white soul duo had used accordion, mandolin, cello, violin and even a baby grand piano.

Guitarist T-Bone Wolk and saxophonist Charlie Dechant was there that night. What a great jam session. The harmonies never sounded better and the melodies, so damn catchy.

The duo were about 42 back then. Time warps....

The best song, at least for me, was "Wait for Me". How lovely. The la, la, la....

The very last song for the encore was the 1966 classic by Sam Moore / Dave Pratar, "Something is wrong with my baby". I think that night, it was a Tuesday, me and my army pals, James, Chris, Daniel and Chung all gave the duo a well-deserved standing ovation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home