Monday, January 01, 2007

Excuse me, we are actually… normal

I read with great interest to an article appearing on the Forum page, The Straits Times on 28 December 2006. It was by a Mr Tan Wei Zhi, a Tourette’s Syndrome sufferer. I am also a Tourette’s tics sufferer since young.

He highlighted of people at the public getting frightened when they see him. It would be natural for people who are ignorant of Tourette’s Syndrome to think that that we are mentally ill. In fact, we are not. It is a neurology disorder.

Wei Zhi also mentioned of his fears on holding a job, amidst other concerns. Quite similarly, back then, I had those fears too. I’ve since overcame them. I am also pretty used to people staring at me curiously. Not a problem. There are people out there who are aware of Tourette’s Syndrome too. I have had countless strangers who came to me, offering help and kind words to me before. Of course, there are still many who don’t. There would be people who would shun us. I have even seen frightened mothers who grabbed their kids and run. No joke.

Likewise as suggested by Wei Zhi, I too would like more programmes, public education and media exposure about Tourette’s Syndrome. No worries…we sure can lead normal lives. One such local hero is artist, Raymond Lau, a fellow Tourette’s sufferer. He just quite recently, held an art exhibition overseas. His paintings were great.

Quite concidentally, Wei Zhi started having tics when he was 13. I also suffered from tics at that age. It is odd…I’ve been suffering for 23 years since… medical science has yet to find a cure to this disorder. A medical cure for Tourette’s Syndrome is surely my New Year wish… this year and every year…. till it is found.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home