Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Voice of Led Zeppelin

I’ve written a fair bit about my guitar heroes. Today, I am paying tribute to another of my fav axemen…He is Jimmy Page, one of the greatest guitarists and the founding member of one of my all-time favourite rock bands, Led Zeppelin.

I could safely conclude that Jimmy Page is one of the forefathers of heavy metal. He probably electrified the audience then with his fantastic guitar solos, the heavier sounding type. His guitar mastery, prowess, stage magnetism and innovative guitarwork….was a work of art and truly, excellent.

Led Zep classics like “Whole Lotta Love”, “Stairway to Heaven”, “Heartbreaker”, “Black Dog”, “Kashmir”amongst other will always mesmerised me. His name is synonymous with Led Zeppelin, I guess it’s a little known fact that he played with the Yardbirds for awhile.

Actually, who came up with the name for Led Zeppelin? Till today… I’m unsure. Was it John Entwistle or Keith Moon? Anyway, it doesn’t matter. Jimmy Page rocks…as the composer and guitarist for Led Zeppelin, he was the main driving forces behind the rock sound of that era, the 70s. His Gibson Les Paul guitars and Marshall amplifiers complete the set.

It’s a real toss between the greatest ever guitar solo. Is it Jimmy Page’s “Stairway to Heaven” or Keith Richards’s “Satisfaction”? I can’t decide… I guess that just about every rock guitarist from the late '60s till the present day would have listened to Page and has been influenced by the master's work with Led Zeppelin. Back to Richards and Page, all I can say is that the former's guitar wailing screams bitch and Page's tells one - "I wanna give you my love, a whole lotta of love".

It’s so sad that Led Zeppelin called it quit back in late 1980. To me always, Jimmy Page is truly one of the all-time most versatile guitarist and songwriter in rock history. The voice of Led Zeppelin turns 63 today. Remarkable.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Jimmy's cool.

And you must be too.

Hello.

I am James.

Writers, poets, and artists of all kind are welcome: www.promiseoflight.org

2:08 PM  
Blogger The Quiet Stone said...

Thank Q, James.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the unxpected band at Wala Wala does nice kickass covers of led zep

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home