Sunday, July 15, 2007

Noise, sleaze... great sounds

When the “Appetite for Destruction” album came out in 1987, I reckon I might have been one of those first few who grabbed the CD then. After the release, Guns N’ Roses still wasn’t that popular. Somehow, all of a sudden, everybody starts listening to them and they became a top flight band from the 80s right through the 90s.

What genre they do? They are not alternative enough… they are quite heavy metal. What’s more… they are also commercial enough to hit No. 1 in America with the album, “Appetite for Destruction” and their single, “Sweet Child O’ Mine”. That’s it, back then, in the late 80s, I actually dig their style and scowl.

I guess many pop minded folks out there would see that Guns N’ Roses aren’t supposed to be commercial. The kinda band that is not supposed to be endorsed by the charts, by parents and not even to get near any airplay over the radio.

Who are they? To sum it up… they are noisy, sleazy, whiskey loving, long hair, tattoos, that no-ballroom tight pants and in general, the complete look of rock n’ roll decadence.

Ha ha… come to think of it, those into Scorpions, Rainbow or Deep Purple are likely to welcome Guns N’ Roses as another fine hair band. I would say that “Appetite for Destruction” did shook up action to some people, I liken it to a stab at total freedom. Listening through over and over again, I found that it gave me some sort of release. Most tracks from that album are stunning stuff.

“Outta Get Me” screams hell and fire on those people who are sitting on the other side. “Paradise City” is the Strawberry Fields Forever of driving hard rock. “Think About You” is sheer romantic rock coming down fast and furious. The fast talking “Mr Brownstone” is at best, undeniably attractive.

“Sweet Child O’ Mine” is the best track on the album. I will remember this song as the classic 80s MTV hard rock material. Right from the start, the classic opening guitar riff, to the wailing Slash solo, to the rhythmic kick and drive of the song’s groove to its bridge building up to a climatic crashing end.

This album makes me forget what should be and what should be not. Who cares if it is a bit hard rock, heavy metal, rock n’ roll or commercial sounding. It doesn’t really matter. It was the rise and rise of the sounds of GNR – the sounds of noise + sleaze = Rock & Rollah Freedom.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home