Monday, April 16, 2007

The not so first XI: Past and Present

I’ve previously put up a Dream Team post. Now, it is time for the not so first XI. At times, I really wonder how on earth did they ever got snapped up to be a Gunner.

GOALKEEPER
Richard Wright
This guy showed much promise. He was even in the reckoning to be England’s No 1. Somehow, he fizzled….

DEFENDERS
Oleg Luzhny
I thought he was the heir apparent to Lee Dixon. Alas, he was not. I think Lauren was converted to right back because of him.

Igors Stephanovs
This Latvian is so forgettable. I only remember him as the culprit behind the 6-2 defeat by Man Utd years ago.

Philippe Senderos
This youngster showed so much promise in some youth tournament with Switzerland. He was hot property then. I’m not so sure about that now. It is painful whenever he squares off against Drogba.

Pascal Cygan
This bald guy is quite the weakest link. I was surprised he wasn’t sold off any earlier. Maybe no takers.

MIDFIELDERS
Eddie McGoldrick
He is the one with that Elvis hairdo. After a 90 minute workout, the fringe is still there. Incredible.

Glenn Helder
He came to Highbury with those Ruud Gullit dreadlocks and deadly step-overs. Over time, I conclude that Ruud Gullit, he is definitely not.

John Jensen
This tough tackler’s only claim to fame was by scoring only a single goal in his entire Highbury career. I remember that goal was a curler against QPR. I actually think T-shirts with the slogan “I saw Jensen scored against QPR” can sell….back then.

STRIKERS
Christopher Wreh
I only knew that he was George Weah’s relative. Only significant contribution was that winner against Wolves… in a Cup semi, I guess. Not sure was it FA or League Cup, though. Yah, those somersaults too…if he did manage to score.

Julio Baptista
I give up……

Jeremie Aliadiare
I also give up…

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Agree with you on Sendoros...buay gan man this bugger

8:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey thanks for your comments on my blog. Won't you come down to Liz Pub on Sat for match against Spuds??

8:52 PM  
Blogger The Quiet Stone said...

Hi, thanx for the invitation. Probably not. My baby girl just arrived not long ago. Got to stay at home and look after her mah. No maid is like that. Never go chionging since ah girl arrived. Would drop by the Liz one day. Enjoy yourself in London. Cheers.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home