Saturday, September 15, 2007

Radiohead

I hadn’t been listening to the radio for awhile….quite awhile. Perhaps, too many distractions. Maybe watching too much football. But, football is never a distraction. Arsenal is never a distraction.

Horror of horrors, I’ve realized that I am pretty uncomfortable with 98.7 FM. I used to loved this station. Right now, I reckon it’s for kids who wants the noisier stuff. To be honest, I am pretty comfortable with Gold 90 FM, in Brian Richmond’s company. I was thinking that 95 FM might be too soothing for me.

Of course, I miss those days when Chris Ho was in Redifusion. I especially miss that radio show playing those thundering heavy metal numbers…by that lady DJ, was it Lyn Sardon, or something like dat? Her shows were explosive, man. Sheer dynamite. Oh yes, Ann Neo wasn’t too bad either. Of course, I am a big fan of the late John Peel. There were his superb programs on BBC then.

Actually, I really hope that one day, there would be one local station dedicated to rock music. 24/7 type, playing Led Zeppelin, Dio, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Black Sabbath, right up to Slipknot or Linkin Park. From 60s to today, and back again. Also give me Twisted Sister, WASP, Poison or Motley Crue anytime. In between, to feature guitarists….like Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai to Randy Rhoads. Now, that would be heavenly.

I must come clean…I’ve never grown out of rock n roll. While I am the early middle aged good guy who pay his bills and taxes on time, I still steal fixes of rock or metal’s unrestrained thuds and thumps everytime I am safely ensconced in some pub. In fact, when I do have lunch at Hard Rock Café occasionally, I always try to sneak a peek at Eddie’s Kramer, Elvis’s Vegas suit, Bowie’s Serious Moonlight concert boots and every bit of rock n roll memorabilia.

I must say, rock music is very much an adolescent form of expression. It’s not like jazz or classical. Hey, those few old rockers who are around, don’t look ridiculous today. Look at Eric Clapton, Keith Richards or David Bowie. They have submitted totally and lived out all the rigours, demands and excesses of rock n roll. One can “feel” their performances, the stimulation is visceral.

When I played it real loud and get enveloped by it, my, the beat and its incantations, it sure gives me the feel-good rush that nothing can. Furthermore, it has that rough and ready feel, the intense noise and the anarchy. Raise your fist and yell!

I told my wife the other day, I wouldn’t mind our daughter learning a musical instrument. I was contemplating…an electric guitar. If she like, I would buy her a Fender Stratocaster. I would play drums, rammed it up like Keith Moon. I dream to be her roadie, ferrying her for her performances, lugging her amplifiers and be her manager. Okay, stop dreaming…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home