Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Axemen

I like monster chops and licks. My musical preferences are extreme, can be from John Williams to Blackie Lawless. I worship my axemen. Not madmen wielding axes. Erh… sort of. I mean, rock guitarists wielding their mean guitars and engaging themselves in never ending guitar solos. Of course, they must look the part. Wild long hair like Dee Snider, sporting tattoos like Tommy Lee and X’Ho, painted faces like KISS and air-tight spandex pants. Those with no ballroom types.

The breakthrough song that introduces the world of rock and heavy metal to me was “Jump” by Van Halen. Fantastic song, with Alex’s power drumming, Mike Anthony’s thunder bass, Eddie’s superb solo with his Kramer and Roth’s prancing like a wild ballerina. Till today, this song still endears to me.

From then on, I became fascinated with rock guitarists. A long line of them, my own hall of famers. I love my axemen to be technically proficient guitarists and the never ending repertoire of two-handed tapping, sweep picking, giant volume swells, harmonics and whammy bar effects.

Eddie Van Halen was my guitar God in 1984. From there on, I went back the years and I discover earlier wildmen of rock in Jimi Hendrix and Randy Rhoads.

Then, I grew to love the sound of speed guitar. Joe Satriani and Steve Vai became my favourites. I still hail “Passion and Warfare” as the greatest instrumental album of all time.

Other must mention guitarists include The Edge, who can forget those ringing, siren-like, blazing in the mountains guitarwork. Great special effects by the likes of Mick Mars and Steve Stevens. Also, AC/DC’s Angus Young’s razor edge. I thought I saw a sort of bald pate that he was sporting during a concert gig in the Stones’ concluded 40 Licks tour. Slash’s solo on November Rain and Aerosmith’s Joe Perry’s muscular solos are equally awesome. The list goes on…The Human Riff, Ronnie Wood, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page to…. Jake E Lee, Zakk Wylde, Johnny Marr or Yngwie Malmsteen. Prince will be always cool and erotic... but i hate his James Brown leg spilt. Ah...who can forget James Honeyman-Scott's simple melodic and charming riffs.

I love David Lee Roth’s album, Skyscraper. It is an album with one hotter than hell Superband. Can’t go wrong with an incredible line-up of Billy Sheehan, Steve Vai and Greg Bissonette.

For bassist, Billy Sheehan is still the best. For lighter moments, give me James Taylor, Lee Ritenour, Pat Metheney and John Williams anytime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home