Tuesday, November 21, 2006

KISS, one hotter than hell band

I was one of KISS army, or alternatively, quite a big fan of KISS. I have an almost entire set of KISS figurines which I proudly display in cabinets at my home. Their appeal is rather limitless. The other day, my cousins, in their late teens, were asking me about them. They were busy buying back catalogues of KISS albums.

Many would probably ask, why are they so spell-binding back in the 70s and still manage to stay sort of relevant today? Well, the KISS experience was sheer spectacle. Four costumed characters such as The Demon, The Catman, The Star Child and Space Ace. They played bubbly rock & roll with some metal riffs, wore high heels, stage pyrotechnics, smoke bombs, candles, chandeliers, scary make-ups, dripping blood, wigs, fire-breathing shows, a comic called “Psycho Circus” and an entire horde of crazy fans calling themselves “Kiss Army”. All this factors led them to be the hottest act in the 70s.

KISS sure as hell drove us, the fans, wild and happy. Looking back, or listening to their music all over again, I do feel it borders on thinly-veiled bubblegum-hard rock with some occasional catchiness. I like their song, “Hard Luck Woman” best. Even the great Garth Brooks covered this song and make it country-sounding.

Well, KISS has long past their expiry date by now. All members came out with solo albums back then, not so outstanding ones…However, I like Gene’s version of “When You Wish Upon A Star”, the classic Disney child ballad. KISS tried everything….from recording with a full orchestra to removing their make-up and putting them back. Even going MTV Unplugged. I thought KISS went for a joint tour with Aerosmith recently.

Whatever they are trying to do now…I will remember their past better…in the 70s, when KISS was at their glorious, bizarre and gory best! In all, selling a whopping 75 million albums worldwide! That’s all for my KISStory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home