Tuesday, August 07, 2007

My football memories...

It was all largely down to my late dad’s influence that I am the football-mad fan of today. He nurture this liking back in the late 70s… bringing me to the National Stadium… those Malaysia Cup days. Through football, we forge a strong father-son bond.

Lookin back at the swinging 70s, I was too young to appreciate Johan Cruyff and the Dutch Total Football. However, I could recall World Cup 78, the one which Mario Kempes shone like a star. The long locks of hair and legs. Also, the chain smoking Argentine coach, Cesar Menotti. He did make smoking look cool then.

In 1978, my love for the English game grew. Got to give credits to Spurs. I got hooked on football then, it was entirely due to the Argentine duo, Ossie Ardiles and Ricardo Villa. They were awesome in their FA Cup runs then. During that period, players like Kevin Keegan, Bob Latchford, Steve Archibald, Trevor Francis and Andy Gray were household names. The top managers were Bob Paisley and Brian Clough. Liverpool and Nottingham Forest were probably the finest English sides then.

1980. Arsenal were in the European Cup Winners Cup final against Valencia. The Gunners lost. The only two names that I still can recall were Graham Rix and Liam Brady.

The early 80s was all about Aston Villa and Ipswich Town. Players like John Wark, Eric Gates, Peter Withe, Gary Shaw, Tony Morley, Alan Brazil, Mick Mills, Arnold Muhren, Gordon Cowans, I can keep rattling about them all night. Oh, I must not forget to mention that great Liverpool side of the 80s.

Come Spain 82, I would say it was the most memorable World Cup for me. I watch quite a number of matches on telly with my dad. It was his last World Cup. He passed away the following year in December 1983. I swear that the Brazilian team led by Socrates was the best national team not to have won the World Cup. I remember my dad ranted so much how Toni Schumacher knocked Frenchman, Patrick Battison with an evil challenge. On the same note, my admiration for Michel Platini and Alain Giresse grew.

In the early 80s or right through that decade, Ian Rush of Liverpool makes goal scoring look so damn simple. Oh, and Gary Lineker too.

World Cup 86 at Mexico, the one where Diego Maradona won the World Cup single handedly. I thought he was absolutely the best. I feel so blessed to witness the skills of Maradona in his hey days. Pele and Kaiser were like passé to me when Maradona was around.

In Euro 88, Holland defeated the Soviet Union 2-0 defeat in the final. It laid to rest the ghosts of Dutch football. It was sheer delight to see Van Basten slamming home that well-executed volley past Dassayev.

1989, Arsenal’s Michael Thomas settled the title with the very last kick of the game. We took the title from Anfield at the death. It was a remarkable moment. It was THE MOMENT.

In World Cup 90, Gazza became a cult figure, an icon, for crying. His performances against Holland and Belgium were superb.

Before Asian players like Kazu Miura and Hidetoshi Nakata came by, there was Cha Bum-Kun, the Korean star. He ply his trade in Germany during the 80s. I thought he wasn’t that bad.

The early 90s…I felt very blessed to witness such a great team in AC Milan. They were and looked like they could go on unbeaten forever. The Dutch trio of Gullit, Rijkaard and Van Basten was simply masterclass. They were unbeaten in 58 matches that stretched from May 91 to March 93.

1994 was that dream final between Barcelona vs AC Milan. I saw Milan gave Barca a 4-0 demolition job. It was a feast of fantasy football. Dejan Savicevic ran the Barca defence ragged. The same year, the Gunners won the Cup Winners Cup at Copenhagen. Alan Smith with the lone strike. In World Cup 94, I saw a great Gheorghe Hagi goal when he lobbed from 40 yards against Colombia.

The 90s was interesting… , the great Eric Cantona was at his mercurial best. There was also the goalscoring exploits of Alan Shearer.

Euro 96 was football coming home. I remember that Gazza goal against Scotland. 1996 was also the year Arsene Wenger came by….Many asked… Arsene who? The rest is history.

The new millennium also saw David Beckham became the most recognizable face in world football. Of late, the global football phenomenon are probably, Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo, in which their dazzling array of flicks and feints seem destined to bewitch football fans in equal measure. I guess, they are the Beautiful Game’s latest icons.

Who is the Greatest? Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Platini, Cruyff, Figo, Van Basten, Henry, Kaka, Beckham, Gullit, Hagi, Stoichkov, Baggio...... For me, Dennis Bergkamp is the best.

The greatest moment that etched firmly in my memories….the Unbeaten 49 by the Invincibles. The run that started on May 2003 and ending October 2004. To witness the Ian Wright (1991 – 1998), Dennis Bergkamp (1995 – 2006) and Thierry Henry (1999 – 2007) years was equally awesome. I’m done with my ranting…I can’t wait for the EPL season 07/08 to start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home