Thursday, August 24, 2006

Gays - From Sentosa to Phuket

Gay. A three-letter word fraught with so much meaning. It can mean gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive and hilarious. On the flip side, it may also be applied openly to homosexuals.

There are probably many in Singapore, open or closet types. For the record, I am straight and I don’t give a hoot about their right to exist and movement for acceptance to mainstream society or whatever. They can party from Sentosa to Phuket and can jammed up the pubs along Tanjong Pagar.

The bottomline is …. I can be your friend but, don't cross the boundaries. I will raise my protectionist walls and fight you with sticks and stones. There is this incident….years ago. I was working at a nearby construction site and was washing myself at a shopping complex tucked near Thomson. This man, in his late forties was calling out for help at the last toilet cubicle. Any Samaritan would have got to take a look, alas, this guy was in his naked glory, looking at me gleefully and requesting some ridiculous “Specials” from me. With one mighty kick to his groin and the Royal Flush, I lay him down grasping in pain and breathing hard for air. I left the toilet an angry man. What if the victim was a young and timid schoolboy. Would he be able to fend for himself?

To all parents of children or adolescents, do accompany your child to the toilet…may it be in the shopping malls, swimming pools or gyms. One cannot rest on our laurels and put our guard down, such dangers does lurk in those quiet corners. As in any modern cities where murders, rapes, car jackings, knifing, kidnappings, hits and runs are rife….. the dangerous mix of gays and pedophiles are out there too.

All I know is that my trusty PCK yellow boots came in handy that day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home